Gaming Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brushes at the ready - Painting competition!

+15
pkav2000
sir_m1ke
weeivor
theCrowe
Revic
SortiumSought
BOW-John
kwi
BloddshotDAVE
odinswolf
meleth
cthulhubruce
Velsharoon
Ironwolf
jb
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brushes at the ready - Painting competition! - Page 2 Empty Re: Brushes at the ready - Painting competition!

Post  jb Thu May 26 2011, 00:15

Entry cards available at Arkham.

Entries now being accepted (although I don't yet know where they're being put as I haven't been up in a couple of weeks).
In effect what I mean to say with this post is: Bump
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Brushes at the ready - Painting competition! - Page 2 Empty Re: Brushes at the ready - Painting competition!

Post  theCrowe Thu May 26 2011, 01:17

meleth wrote:I mentioned it to Rik on Saturday but I think it'd be funny to make a Diorama of a Blood Angel and Necron high fiving atop tyranid corpses, I even got a great caption from the heresy forums "bros before xenomorphs"

that would be the total icing on the matt ward turd cake.
theCrowe
theCrowe

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Sun May 29 2011, 07:35

Remember entry is open for the comp guys, are there any up at Arkham yet?

I'm working on the trophies, aiming to have at least two (one for the overall winner, and one for the Cherubim category). I do have a further suitable model but having trophies for all 5 categories will depend on how the finances go this month. Reward for the other categories may have to be limited to self-satisfaction and the goodies that uncle-Phil has kindly put-up, but I'll do my best.

In place of (hopefully in addition-to) physical trophies is there any chance we can get little signature icons to denote the winners in each category, as has been done with the MTG trophies here? Who would be the best person to ask about such things? Also... ...not that I expect to win one but how do you go about adding them to your signature if you do win, or is that done by a moderator somehow?
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  weeivor Sun May 29 2011, 07:40

have mine entered
weeivor
weeivor

http://www.weegamers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  meleth Sun May 29 2011, 09:00

My entries in jeapordy, the stuff I ordered 2 weeks ago from bits box still hasn't come looks like they've been lost in the post!
meleth
meleth

Back to top Go down

Post  BloddshotDAVE Sun May 29 2011, 11:24

trying to find the time to paint z entry is annoying cant get any fre time atm. Rolling Eyes
BloddshotDAVE
BloddshotDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Sun May 29 2011, 20:02

meleth wrote:My entries in jeapordy, the stuff I ordered 2 weeks ago from bits box still hasn't come looks like they've been lost in the post!
BloddshotDAVE wrote:trying to find the time to paint z entry is annoying cant get any fre time atm.

Don't worry too much if there's a bit of a delay, guys. You've still got 3 weeks (until the 19th of June) before the closing date.
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  SortiumSought Sun May 29 2011, 23:40

theCrowe wrote:
meleth wrote:I mentioned it to Rik on Saturday but I think it'd be funny to make a Diorama of a Blood Angel and Necron high fiving atop tyranid corpses, I even got a great caption from the heresy forums "bros before xenomorphs"

that would be the total icing on the matt ward turd cake.

Even funnier would be Mantic resin wraiths hovering over a diorama of of 2 GW metals locked in a death embrace

"Death is better, a milder form of tyranny!" Aeschylus in Agamemnon
SortiumSought
SortiumSought

Back to top Go down

Post  Velsharoon Mon May 30 2011, 00:13

That would be amusing. If my orders don't arrive this week shall have to do something other than my cyborks.
Velsharoon
Velsharoon

Back to top Go down

Post  sir_m1ke Mon May 30 2011, 22:48

I had planned to do King Arthur and the Knights of the Round table as Space marine bike command squad- have even researched the individual heraldry and motifs of each of the 5 knights i had chosen to use, and designed my Merlin model (as a SM librarian on bike of course) Rocking

however im running out of time to get my nids painted for Q-con and that is taking priority, so unfortunately im unlikely to enter unless the nids get done and i enter a nid model Crying or Very sad
sir_m1ke
sir_m1ke

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Tue May 31 2011, 06:14

sir_m1ke wrote:I had planned to do King Arthur and the Knights of the Round table as Space marine bike command squad- have even researched the individual heraldry and motifs of each of the 5 knights i had chosen to use, and designed my Merlin model (as a SM librarian on bike of course) Rocking

however im running out of time to get my nids painted for Q-con and that is taking priority, so unfortunately im unlikely to enter unless the nids get done and i enter a nid model Crying or Very sad
That Arthurian 40k squad sounds great, Mike; I hope you get the painting done! But if you have to concentrate on the 'nids feel free to enter any models you're particularly pleased with. You don't necessarily have to paint something new for the comp; if you want to enter an already-painted model you could do that too. If not, well, these things happen - good luck in the Q-con tourney
Flag
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  Revic Tue May 31 2011, 06:17

is the point not to get people painting?
what is the point in entering something painted a while ago, for a different competition say.
Revic
Revic

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Tue May 31 2011, 07:06

Revic wrote:is the point not to get people painting?
Partially, it's always nice to have encouragement to paint something new, or something you otherwise wouldn't paint.

Revic wrote:what is the point in entering something painted a while ago, for a different competition say.
The other reasons for running the competition are to showcase the painting talent we have at Arkham and for as many people to get involved as possible. The comp is as much about building the social aspect of Arkham (by giving folks the chance to see each other's miniatures and comment positively on them) as it is about "beating" everyone else, but you can enter for either reason, or both.

There is a deadline (there has to be) but it's not supposed to be an against-the-clock challenge. The about-a-month-long entry period is supposed to ease the time pressure but if someone absolutely can't find the time to paint something new in that month then I'm happy to accept entries painted earlier (so long as the person entering them actually painted them at some point, of course). Bottom line is "the more the merrier"; I'd rather have people enter with a previously-painted model than not at all.
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  sir_m1ke Tue May 31 2011, 07:10

Revic wrote:is the point not to get people painting?
what is the point in entering something painted a while ago, for a different competition say.

This was y I was sending my apologies for it, I don't know if I have time to get something new done

I'll push for Chapter Master Arthur Pendragon but if all else fails I have an unpainted hive tyrant I cud do and throw in
sir_m1ke
sir_m1ke

Back to top Go down

Post  meleth Tue May 31 2011, 07:38

It's looking bad for my entry too, between q con stuff and the lost order from bitz box I can't seem me having the time, can't even get a refund for the lost bits until it hits 28 days.
meleth
meleth

Back to top Go down

Post  pkav2000 Tue May 31 2011, 08:16

I've already taken photographs of two of the entries.
If people would let me, I'd like to take photographs of all the entries and put them up online here for posterity. I can arrange for prints for people as well if they'd like a hard copy.

I'm not a painter - I've tried but years of drug abuse (prescription) has left me with an impossible tremor. the detail you guys manage is amazing and I love photographing it.

Paul.

Photographers joke - "If you see a drowning man and you have a choice between taking his photograph or saving him..... What shutter speed do you choose?"
pkav2000
pkav2000

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Tue May 31 2011, 08:30

I was intending (most of) the judging to be based on pictures posted here or on facebook so Paul if you're prepared to photograph all of the entries I think we'd all be glad of your efforts. Thanks Big Grin

Getting beyond myself (and thinking posterity also) but if you're planning hard-copies do you reckon we could somehow put together a commemorative poster to stick on the wall somewhere up at Arkham?
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  pkav2000 Tue May 31 2011, 08:37

jb wrote:
Getting beyond myself (and thinking posterity also) but if you're planning hard-copies do you reckon we could somehow put together a commemorative poster to stick on the wall somewhere up at Arkham?

Depending on what you want, my usual printers run up to 18*12inch and I suspect poster prints are equally possible.
When all the entries are in and shot I'll see what we can do.

Paul.

pkav2000
pkav2000

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Sat Jun 04 2011, 08:23

Good to see the entries so-far up at Arkham last night. Looking good guys, keep em coming!

P.S. I'll be bringing mine when I'm (hopefully) up next Thursday.
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiglepulper Sun Jun 05 2011, 03:36

Just a bit of basing to be done on my entry and he's ready. I'll leave him up hopefully some time this incoming week.

Roger
Eiglepulper
Eiglepulper

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwolf Sun Jun 05 2011, 06:57

i have mine about 60% done then i'll drop him up soon

rik
Ironwolf
Ironwolf

Back to top Go down

Brushes at the ready - Painting competition! - Page 2 Empty high elves and ogres

Post  mcstu Mon Jun 06 2011, 10:57

I have unit of high elf phoenix guards that just needs finishing touches and base done, so will try and get them finished in time.
Also working on ogres so if I really get a move on I could have two entries for the units section.
mcstu
mcstu

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Mon Jun 06 2011, 23:43

mcstu wrote:I have unit of high elf phoenix guards that just needs finishing touches and base done, so will try and get them finished in time.
Also working on ogres so if I really get a move on I could have two entries for the units section.
Good to see more and more folks keen to enter, but remember guys, just one entry each please. You don't want to split your votes and decrease your chance of winning now, do you?
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  jb Thu Jun 09 2011, 06:57

Finished my entry, will be bringing it up tomorrow. How are we looking for entry cards? Do I need to bring some more?
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Brushes at the ready - Painting competition! - Page 2 Empty Keep 'em coming!

Post  jb Sat Jun 11 2011, 07:51

A couple more entries in the cabinet now folks, and some encouragement being given to the younger members (and associate members) too.

KEEP 'EM COMING!
Still 10 days left to enter, but on the downside ONLY 10 days left to enter. Several single figures so far, but fewer groups and dioramas.
jb
jb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next